Many times at shows I am frequently asked what is in each product and trust me, I don't mind you asking at all! I enjoy the opportunity to speak about each product and discuss how it can benefit your skin and make you feel better.
Unfortunately busy shows don't always allow that one-on-one time that I enjoy spending with each customer so I've decided to start a new blog series titled... WHAT'S IT GOOD FOR! Each series will showcase a different product featured in one or several of the products Suds Me Up Buttercup creates.
This week let's talk about GLYCERIN... what's it good for?
Glycerin (aka, glycerine or glycerol) is a commonly used ingredient in many cosmetic and personal skin care products. Yet it is also an ingredient that stirs up quite a bit of debate. Glycerin is a humectant that can be naturally derived from plant oils, or it can also be synthetically produced.
As a humectant, glycerin works to moisturize the skin by drawing water from the air into the skin's outer layer. If you have ever created handmade skincare products using glycerin and not packaged your product asap then you will notice what we call in the industry as "sweat beads" on the surface of soaps. This is because the glycerin in the soap is pulling in all the moisture in the air and "sticking" to itself- living in the south it doesn't take long for this process to take place. That same process (without the sweat beads of course) happens when you use the bar in the shower/bath. It draws moisture in the air and water and penetrates your skin while cleaning at the same time.
As a synthetic product, it does the exact opposite and drys out your skin leaving a tacky feeling... you know what I'm talking about I'm sure.
As a natural plant-based product, which Suds Me Up Buttercup uses in a majority of our skincare products, glycerin is one of the most, if not the most hydrating ingredient you can put on your skin! It is safe for all skin types from sensitive, dry, normal, and oily skin combinations. It even goes further in assisting soothing inflammation, swelling, and redness from skin irritations caused by a variety of reasons.
So what exactly can YOU expect from glycerin in bath and body products from Suds Me Up Buttercup?
1. Improves the skin barrier with its calming properties (aka- adds a layer of moisture to your skin)
2. Anti-aging! Need I say more? Hydration is key.
3. Encourages Cell Maturity. Your skin sheds numerous cells and produces younger cells to replace them. The top layer of your skin contains the mature cells that produce lipids that form the protective barrier on your skin. Glycerin helps the young cells mature and move up to the surface before they are eventually shed. If this process is interrupted, your skin will look dull and dry.
4. Speeds Wound Healing & Prevents Infection. A study found that the application of glycerin on wounds effectively reduced inflammation. Moreover, glycerin-based products were also found to be antimicrobial.
5. Facial Toner for Oily Skin. Because glycerin is a non-greasy product it keeps your skin hydrated without triggering excessive production of the oil-producing sebacieous glands.
As you can see glycerin has a wide range of health benefits and like any beauty product, the longer you use it the more you will see results. We all want young, healthy looking skin.
GLYCERIN CAN HELP YOU ACHIEVE BABY SMOOTH SKIN!